Pages

Sunday, January 31

"We just want to pump you up"

Do you remember Hans and Franz from Saturday Night Live? I'm dating myself. I was not a fan of SNL but the few times I watched back in the 80's when Hans & Franz came on they always made me laugh. Now that my April marathon goals have been postponed until November, the fact that we have had single digit temps and snow this winter I have revamped my fitness goals. Before we decided to take a family vacation around the same time as my marathon I was up to an hour and a half of running on the treadmill in training for my marathon. That was about all I could handle on the mill even while watching episodes of 24. As I type we have 6 inches of snow covering the ground, so obviously I am going to be on the treadmill for a while longer. Since I no longer need to be working on adding miles I decided about 2 weeks ago to add more strength training into my workouts. I have noticed as I am aging I'm not as strong as I used to be. I have been enjoying adding more weight lifting to my routine. I have even noticed in the few weeks I've been lifting I've been able to add more weight and reps. So for those of you interested this a general outline of what my running/fitness schedule looks like for this week.

M-F Run on the treadmill for 30-40 mins. (with intervals most days)
Sat. I will do a long run (hopefully outside!)

M,W, F-Upper body weighted workout
T & Th-Lower body weighted workout

I do most of my weighted workout using dumbbells. I do have a weight bar and weight bench for chest presses and leg extensions. My biggest challenge is time. Adding this much strength training adds and additional 40-50 mins. of time in addition to my running. So far I have only missed a couple of workouts because I just ran out of time or was too tired after my run. I plan to keep this schedule up as long as I am stuck inside.

Hope you all have a great week. Pressing on with you in health.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I've been strength training 4 days a week for the past few weeks and feel like it has definitely helped me recover from my injury not to mention the definition that I am seeing in my arms and abs.

Strength training will definitely help you in your marathon, expecially working you core.

Major props to you for running for an hour and a half on the dreadmill. I could never do that lol :)

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

As I read your blog I am so glad that I live in the South. I couldn't handle all those mill runs.

Adding the weights - nice. Have you tried yoga? It's great too. I do some of both, weights and yoga.

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

You got up to some long runs on the TM- not easy!

Much Ado said...

Treadmill running is so tough, you are doing great!

Wendy said...

That's awesome! I agree treadmill running is so hard. 5 miles on it today and by the end of that, I was sooo sick of it. But, I am thankful it is an option.

Strength training sounds great. I need to do more of that.

Kate said...

DREADMILL!!!! so glad you are getting through it. that's TOUGH!

i loved hanz and franz! now i am going to go on youtube to watch me some! they cracked me up!

Keri said...

I have never watched Hanz and Franz, I will have to youtube them!

You have quite the strength training routine! That is great!

Thomas Bussiere said...

You are doing it girl! The weight training will reward you during the race. Cross training is key!