Pages

Thursday, January 7

MIA

Wow! if the past four weeks are indicative of what this new year will be like then this year will fly by just like last year. Honestly I still can't believe a new year is upon me. I have been thinking about my running goals for this new year and have had a really hard time figuring out how to balance life with what my desired goals are. I have had to look realistically at my responsibilities as a wife and homeschool mom and adjust my goals to these priorities. As most of you know My husbands father was diagnosed with incurable cancer back in August 09. This news set our lives on a new path and brought with it some additional responsibilities and stress. The news of my husbands dad came one month prior to our scheduled family vacation with them to Florida and Disney. As difficult as it was to tell our kids the vacation had to be cancelled they never complained or question once our decision. Running this year especially after my father-in-laws diagnosis has been challenging, but at the same time something that kept me moving forward emotionally through some very difficult times. Like many of you the physical highs and lows of running parallel life in so many ways, which is one reason why I love running. One of my desires this year was to finally run that marathon that has alluded me in my 20+ years of running. Now that my husbands dad is in remission my husband and I have had a chance to sit down and evaluated this years goals and plans. My husband is a very loving, wise and godly man. Last year was a very difficult year for both of us in many ways. We both could have used a vacation! So he suggested that we re-plan our original vacation, sooner than later this year. The time he suggested conflicts with my April marathon. I was reluctant at first to give up this goal but I know this is something our whole family needs. Our children have been amazingly mature through this whole process and my heart just wants them to have this time. The weather here has also left me stuck with training a lot on the treadmill. This was one of my biggest concerns for an April marathon. My training has been hindered by the snow storms and single digit temps. I have endured hours on the treadmill but I am no where near where I need to be in my mileage. My competitive nature just doesn't want to run an "okay" first marathon I would like to be strong and finish in a decent time. So with all that, I have set my sights on having a wonderful much needed family vacation and training for my first marathon in November (The Rt. 66 Marathon, hint, hint, Kim). I will probably run some shorter races until then and then there is always my old stand by the Tulsa Run 15k in October (hint, hint Mary Ann). So as for now I am keeping my base mileage up on the treadmill and really looking forward to some warmer weather so I can begin to see what these old legs have in them. In the mean time I will try to update weekly but it may get a bit redundant until I can hit the trails once again. Until then keep pressing on!

6 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Great to hear from you, Terri! I think your husband is leading you wisely re your MARATHON!

The Tulsa Run---we'll have to see. I'm still running about 15 miles/week to stay in shape.

Blessings and stay warm! I know a storm is coming your way.

Much Ado said...

Oh how lovely to see a post of yours appear in my reader! Welcome back! A marathon in November sounds like a good plan.

Look your new blog look too!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

A family vacation will give all of you something to look forward to. I'm planning our CA April vacation now and am starting to get excited about it!

Keri said...

Hi Terri! Did I read that your father in law is in remission?

I hope 2010 is a great year for you and your family! A family vacation sounds wonderful. I hope you are surviving the snow snow and ice!

Wendy said...

So good to hear from you, Terri!
I think it sounds like a great plan for 2010. November will be a great time to run your 1st marathon. I'm looking forward to following along in your journey to the finish, and most of all the things God teaches you along the way.

Thomas Bussiere said...

Very smart. Love the post and it sounds like you have a very supportive family.