Pages

Saturday, March 9

Remember The Alamo !!

Well folks its been a while since my last post. I have considered deleting this blog as I simply don't have the desire to keep up with posting. Life hasn't really changed...my daily duties as wife, mom, runner and domestic engineer continue to be consistent and rewarding. I guess my lack of desire to keep up with this blog is more of a personal reality check... To be very real here, I'm kind of sick of hearing myself making lame excuses and foreboding about better races ahead. I'm just not up to it anymore. So although this will NOT be my last post I will try and refrain from sounding like a big whiner and making a bunch of excuses because the truth is...

Since my last post I have run 2 more half marathons; the Aramco Houston Half and The Alamo City Run Fest Half. For me personally both races were humbling. Funny thing is the first race had horrible weather (rainy and cold) yet I performed better in that race than I did on the second which had ideal running weather. Now here's a great place in this post where a lot of whining and excuse making could occur but the truth is I walked away from both races knowing the only person I had to blame was myself.

 (Left): at the Chevron Houston Marathon expo with my super speedy friend who ran the marathon around 3:30ish. She's headed to Boston (2nd time) in April. Isn't she beautiful! God has truly blessed me with some amazing godly friends who are beautiful inside and out.

(Below L): the only photo I let anyone take. I was a drowned rat by the end of the race and the picture is blurry because everything was damp!

My finish time was 2:16 (ouch)! This would be a great place to tell you about how getting to the race late and fighting the crowds greatly affected my time...but I simply will refer you to the above sign... The positives about the race are that I ran a very consistent pace and had a negative split the last 5k. I prayed throughout the race and God used this race to humble me and teach me a lot about what I'm willing to do to get the results I want. These lessons are not loss on the race course but are hard lessons the Lord is teaching everyday as I resist and yield. It would be easy to sit here and hide behind my Christan screen and say "this is the race God gave and in that I rejoice" but honestly I was disappointed at myself because I didn't put in the work to achieve some goals that would've resulted in a better time, and that's the bottom line. YET, if this verse is true in my life: "For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever" Then those words become a real conviction to who I am. I believe in the complete Sovereignty of God in my life. There are no chances or luck...my life is ordered under the loving and wise hand of my heavenly Father, so in that I CAN say "I rejoice"!  
 
The Alamo City Run Fest was a combined wedding anniversary (23 yrs.) and race weekend. I feel incredibly blessed to have a husband who is willing to let me combine special occasions around racing. The ACRF was an inaugural race and I signed up before they posted the course map. The San Antonio area is also known as hill country so you can imagine when they posted the course map I had a minor mental overhaul. I was still excited about the experience of finishing inside the Alamodome so that kept me pumped for a new finish line experience!
Day one: A visit to the Wildlife Animal Park is always
a highlight for us city folk!
Day two we spent the entire day at Six Flags Fiesta and
yes I left feeling a little dizzy.
Both days were such a blessing, laughing, eating, sight-seeing...being together as a family...such cherished memories.

Race day morning I woke up exhausted. After a day at Six Flags and the obnoxious child whose parents allowed him/her to run and jump until after 11pm in the room above us I was set for a tough day. The weather was PERFECT and I was so thankful to be running a race where the weather was not going to be a factor. The first half of the race I was on pace for a 2:08 finish and knew I had it in me to keep this up for the remainder of the race if I could hold out on the hills. From the start of the race I was feeling the nagging pain that had been plaguing my hip/glute area for the past 3 weeks of training but hoped it would not get worse. Again I prayed through the race but honestly I struggled to sense the closeness I so often feel with the Lord while running... It's hard to put into words but I feel a nearness to the Lord when I run that I really sense at no other time. Maybe it's because I need His help so much to perform the task ahead, maybe it's the solitude that draws me to Him but for whatever reason I struggled to find it. Yet I knew He was with me me, enabling me...
 
struggling to stand upright
The lessons He had for me this day would be felt most profoundly on the second half of this race. My hip/glute area that had been just a nagging pain was turning into a spear that was affecting me both physically and mentally. The course was mostly rolling with a couple steep hills and little by little my resolve for a PR gave way to a resolve to just finish. I actually considered dropping out. I crossed the finish line disappointed in myself knowing I should've fought harder. The realization that
I gave up was an extremely painful lesson especially after the opportunity had slipped away. Yet, dare I say it...in this I rejoice!

I will post again on where all these lessons have left me with my training and hope to be back at visiting your blogs a little more consistently. Until then Press on!



 

2 comments:

Kate said...


'I can rest in that He gave His body for me... so if I have to give more of my body than I counted on, I can surely live with that lesson of Christ-likeness.
'

a quote from a friend that i have CLUNG to lately - and thought it would encourage you to continue to run the race as awesome as you are!

xo

Terri said...

Thank you Kate! Love that thought. It was a hard lesson on how important it is to keep you mind in the race. I think this was the second time I learned this lesson the hard way!