Pages

Thursday, February 3

Thirsty Thursday

Something I will do different in my next race is carry my own fluids. I learned a lot about large races and water stations at the Chevron Houston Marathon. First, never assume the fluid stations/tables will be visible. I thought I would be able to see them up ahead and begin to move over, but in a race that large most of the time I couldn't see them until I was right on top of them. Maybe that's a height issue but the tables were not distinguished by balloons or signs. Second, never stop at the first couple of tables. The majority of people stop at those tables and it makes for very crowded conditions. I did overshoot a station once trying to wait until the last couple of tables. Third, if you really want to make a certain time goal then carry your own fluids. That was not my objective in this race so I didn't feel frustrated by the negotiating that went on around the tables. I was hoping to jog through the station but that didn't work out. If you are shooting for a certain time and in a big race then I say carry your own fluids.

This is what I'll be wearing next race.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, I've been so busy and I neglected to read about your race!! I saw your comment and immediately remembered! Great race report, I loved the part about seeing your husband and giving him such a big hug and thank you kiss. It's amazing how much their support and love allows us to do what we do. Love that! Great reminder to appreciate my guy!
I loved your happy finish picture and your attitude, the real prize is so much greater!!
Finally, great reminder about hydration, I guess you should never assume you'll be able to help yourself to what is available. That happens all the time at races around here where it's hot and water/fluids run out quickly!
Happy Weekend :) !